Anastasi Research Paper and Conference Travel Scholarship Competition
Anne Anastasi Scholarships for Outstanding Student Research Papers
All active Psi Beta student members are eligible. Papers with more than one author will be accepted, but the primary author must be an active Psi Beta student member. All authors must have completed no more than 75 transferable college semester (or 112 quarter) credits by the end of the spring term of the paper’s submission.
First Place Gold–$600, Second Place–$400, Third Place–$300. First Place Silver – $300, Second Place – $250, Third Place – $150. Each winner will receive an award certificate. The primary author only will receive the award. Co-authors, who are Psi Beta members, will receive certificates of recognition. Winners will be announced at the APA national convention, on www.psibeta.org, and in the fall newsletter.
An original research paper in which data are collected (papers featuring literature reviews but without data collection will not be accepted for judging), and which use any of the following research methods: Case study, naturalistic observation, survey, correlational design, or an experiment. References will be checked carefully for accuracy and format.
- The research topic must be psychological in nature.
- The study must comply with the APA Code of Ethics
- Writing style must conform to the manuscript instructions in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition, 2009). Only APA style will be considered.
- The paper must include at least 3 current, primary references. See the APA manual for proper reference format for primary and secondary sources.
- The paper must be between 5 and 12 double-spaced pages of narrative. Figures, tables, reference page, and abstract do not count toward the 12 page maximum. Submissions exceeding 12 pages of narrative will not be accepted.
- Must use at least 10 point font with 24 points of line spacing (leading).
- A digital copy must be sent to the national office to prepare it for judging (author(s) and college identification will be removed for the purposes of judging).
- A cover sheet must be signed by the student(s) and faculty advisor. The primary author must submit a statement that demonstrates that all members of the research team involved with the paper were informed of and gave the approval to (1) submit the paper in the primary author’s name to the competition, (2) be listed as a co-author or co-researcher and (3) plan, if any, for distributing any prize money that the paper may win and that all authors have completed no more than 75 transferable college semester (or 112 quarter) credits by the end of the spring term of the paper’s submission. The statement must be signed by all members of the research team and the advisor. Mail or fax to the Psi Beta National office by May 15th.
- See required form that must accompany each submission: Student and Faculty Agreement form.
- Papers and the Student and Faculty Agreement form must be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format to Executive Director Jerry Rudmann. Paper must include the title page and abstract.
Must be received by May 15. Submissions received after May 15 will not be considered.
Email entries to:
Dr. Jerry Rudmann email@example.com
Judging of Entries
Judging will be completed blind by judges appointed by the Psi Beta Research Paper Committee. Both content and writing skill will be evaluated as well as compliance with all requirements listed above. Finalists’ references will be carefully checked. Judges will not review papers that obviously fail to conform to APA style.
For APA format pointers and/or links see APA style rules and guidelines.
Through this scholarship competition, we are pleased to commemorate Anne Anastasi’s enduring and lasting contribution to psychology and psychometric theory and procedures.